1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

If You Get Stopped In The Thames Valley, Hants Or The West Mids

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by T.C, Sep 3, 2018.

1. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

Be aware that these 3 forces will require all drivers and riders stopped to prove that they can read a number plate at 20.5 meters

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45387965

The forces taking part in the trial are Thames Valley, Hampshire and West Midlands. (Thames Valley is made up of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, Reading Borough and Oxford City)

Drivers (and riders) who fail to read a number plate from 20m (65ft) away when stopped by police will have their licences revoked immediately in a new crackdown. This is on the back of a recent case where a police car was forced to take evasive action when the man drove the wrong way after pulling out from a junction on to the A3 in Surrey.

The elderly driver was stopped and given a roadside eyesight test, which he failed as he could only read a number plate from 7.3m away. The minimum distance is 20m.

The power to revoke licences was introduced in 2013 under Cassie's Law, named after 16-year-old Cassie McCord, who died when an 87-year-old man lost control of his vehicle in Colchester, Essex.

What it means is that a Police officer can request an urgent revocation of a licence through the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) if they believe the safety of other road users will be put at risk if a driver remains on the road.

Bear in mind that the Police are not authorised to actually check someone's eyesight. If you are stopped, what they should tell you is that they require to check your ability to read a number plate at 20.5 meters.

So, when was the last time you had your eyes checked?

Have you read our recent blog about depth perception?

Deteriorating eyesight is something that can catch you out as it creeps up on you. There is a tendency to acclimatise and compensate without realising that something is wrong.

A regular eye check can also potentially highlight other possible health problems, in my case for example, I was told at my regular eye check that I have an early stage cataract which will need to be dealt with in the future, but at least I am now aware of it even though at the moment I have not noticed any significant change.

If you do have your eyes tested, please consider the remider I make in my blog about having your depth perception tested as well.

https://www.hudgellsolicitors.co.uk/news/motorcycle-accident/depth-perception-and-the-dangers/

Roadwart and Beelady like this.