1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Road Crash Investigation Branch Idea

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by T.C, Nov 1, 2017.

1. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

It has been suggested that we should set up a UK road crash investigation branch operated along similar lines to the Air Accident Investigation branch, Maritime and Rail Crash Investigation units as well.

I can see some merit in the idea, but I need to be convinced

http://www.roadsafe.com/callforaukaccidentinvestigationbranch

2. Lightweight

Lightweight Sport Tourer +

My understanding is that the Police have officers qualified to do this, and that they investigate every crash that causes injury?

3. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

What is the point they will just blame speed, and recommend more speed restrictions in 99% of cases

4. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

But most of us are now retired or are close to retirement and they don't send personell on the courses anymore.

Only crashes that involve a fatality or catastrophic injry are investigated and even then not always at the forensic level. Ihave dealt with a coupe of catastrophic injury cases jusr recently where the riders were left with life changing injuries but the Police delat with them as damage only crashes

5. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Maybe a good idea, but where is it funded from ? .... Budgets seems to forever being slashed :/

6. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

I have a serving Police Office mate (with whom I run at weekends) who has recently completed several courses enabling him to drive all categories of vehicle, 2-wheel drive, 4-wheel drive, on-road, off-road and motorcycles. Part of his duties include accident investigation. I suppose, due to cuts in the Service, he does the rest of his work at nighttime. But there are at least some currently-serving officers trained to investigate motor bike and other crashes.

Beelady and BlackHornet like this.
  7. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

I did say most not all are retired, but even then, for those still serving the training the guys get now is cut to the bone.

Most forces no longer have a class 1 or class 2 advanced qualification, just a pass. Very few send their guys on HGV or PCV courses, and as for crash investigation? Many forces have to bring in investigators from other forces.

In my old force, the Traffic division I served on and was proud of is a shadow of what it was, and th fact that many chief officers do not consider traffic policing as front line work despite dealing with more dead bodies and making more crime arrests than your average superstar detective doesn't help either.

On the plus side, it keeps me well occupied and employed, but it frightens me when have to intervire some of these cops whose attitude is, "Its only a traffic accident"

That is worrying

8. Beelady

Beelady British Superbike +

It's very upsetting when you work for one of the public services long term and watch it being run into the ground. You put everything you have into the job, including many regular, unpaid hours plus missing lunch and breaks more often then not, yet you still see things get worse and your workmates becoming tired, angry and unhappy. Such a shame those who run the country can't experience it for themselves and see what the real world is like. I was very happy to leave, yet I still feel bad about deserting the sinking ship. I guess you have to be a certain type of person to do this sort of work. Something the government seems to be happy to exploit.
    It would be a fine thing to have a really good crash investigation unit, but I'm sure it won't be happening.

BlackHornet likes this.