1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Monthly Meet August Wed 9th

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by lisa lou, Jul 31, 2017.

1. lisa lou

lisa lou Race Rep +

forgive me if i've double posted, but i can't see it on the forum ..
    is there a meet at the oak and ivy this week ?

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

i think there is a plan to delay it until next week

3. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

Oh yeah. We discussed it this weekend but I forgot to post. Decided maybe to postpone it till next Wednesday, the 9th, due to being so close to some getting back from trip.

lisa lou and BlackHornet like this.
  4. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

damn.. wont be able to make it as on holibubs with the family . was looking forward to hearing about the trip :)

5. lisa lou

lisa lou Race Rep +

ok cool, fine with me for a delay for the 9th,

6. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

was coming , but away for the 9th

7. Carl Berg

Carl Berg Sport Tourer +

With the heavy rain i'd expect that the drive down wouldn't be very comfortable.

Hoping that the weather will be more bike friendly on the 9th as the ride down would be more fun on 2 wheels than 4 :thumbsup:

lisa lou likes this.
  8. Carl Berg

Carl Berg Sport Tourer +

9. lammyR6

Have changed title as reminder that it is this week :D :eat:

Beelady and lisa lou like this.
  10. lisa lou

lisa lou Race Rep +

see you there :spag::cheers:

11. Rosie

Rosie Sport Tourer +

Can't make this one as I'm working late, enjoy

12. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Family over from the states so I can't make it this month.

13. lisa lou

lisa lou Race Rep +

first one you've not made in a long time Tom have a great time with the Family though

14. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

Bring on the Prawns!! It's not my turn to look after Aged Person currently staying with us, so ...I'm free. As the song says... :)

lammyR6 and lisa lou like this.
  15. David

David Learner

Wish I could have made this one :hdbang:

Next time hopefully as it would be good to get out riding and put some faces to names :MC:

lisa lou and lammyR6 like this.
  16. Panel Man

Mind you, if you wear glasses, they'd be all steamed up from today's rain so you couldn't see us anyway! Next time...

lisa lou and lammyR6 like this.
  17. SuzuKeith

SuzuKeith World Superbike +

Had planned to come this eve but looks like I not get there in time. Hope you have good one

lammyR6 likes this.
  18. Beelady

Beelady British Superbike +

Nice to see/meet you all. A very pleasant evening with lots of chat and laughs. Accessengineer enjoyed himself, too.

lammyR6, Panel Man and BlackHornet like this.
  19. Panel Man

Well, well, ladeez 'n gents - from lonely beginnings (me sat there, nursing a pint and pretending to read a magazine as though 'My Friend' had nipped out for a smoke), eventually Fergy turned up, fresh from work and we exchanged excuses for not running as far or fast as we ought to do. Then Lisa took pity on those two old blokes sitting by the wall and came and brightened our lives. As I had already placed my order at the bar and was to be put through when someone else ordered (...anyone else hungry?) I kept trying to get them to go order food. Fortunately Leila then happened, bursting through the door and bounced over to us, Tiggerishly. Lucky Leila has two Reasons to be Cheerful (with apologies to Ian Dury), of which more anon.

Our hostess for the evening stood there for what seemed like ages making observations about the weather: how Hawkhurst just seems always to miss the downpours which afflict towns only a couple of miles away and isn't it Amazing? (With apologies to Brian Cox). There was also an alarming story about a young lass who used to work at the pub down the road who had sped by in her little car one night, three times over the alcohol limit, fiddling with her mobile, clipped a kerb and demolished a significant part of the rather spectacular (and apparently Listed) brick wall near the next bend along the road. And then walked away, swaying slightly. I'm sorry and all that, but am really, really hungry :eat:

Eventually the orders were placed. Leila's drinks request for lime and soda was filled (because a senior member of the pub's staff drove off to Hawkhurst to fetch a new bottle - that's how much they love us) and we were joined by Beelady Emma and Access Engineer John. At last numbers began to look respectable!

Oh, Tiger Prawns; how have I missed thee (by failing to attend the meet for a couple of months now)? Clearly many prawns had given up waiting for me, as only three presented themselves on the tiny plate. I checked under the vegetation in case any were hiding. Nope. Perhaps they were being shared out from sparse rations? I resisted licking the plate and looked forward to my Chili con carne. Our hostess produced a bottle of Thai tepid sauce to boost its oomph and I polished that off with gusto. Jolly good it was... I'm sure there was conversation happening around me but I confess the chili just required too much concentration. Lucky Leila sought my assistance in making the remains of her salmon and chips go away, and I was only too pleased to oblige. And Lovely Lisa offered me a left-over morsel of lasagne. I felt it would have been greedy to accept, so passed, with I hope good grace.

Despite my failure to visit, our landlady remembered clearly the recipe for my ideal pudding, and we dispensed with the ceremony of bringing out the menu and I went for the proffered apple pie, custard with skin and a wedge of cheddar. T'were a bit short of skin on the custard, but otherwise I sit here with a full belly, a very happy chappie. Which brings me neatly back to Lucky Leila, who, after several months of intense and determined study, has not only been granted official, certificated permission to teach Dodgy English to Less Talented Adults but has also managed to line up a multi-continent trip for two and a half months. Honestly that girl travels so much, the Passport Office must be considering giving her a 1,000 page passport to fit in enough visas.

Once my esurience had been sated and I could once more concentrate on what was being said, our conversation roved from frustrated visits to the Triumph factory (Emma and John); frustrating teenage antics (Lisa) through work colleagues pulling sickies and then some (Fergy), where to get some small scale TiG welding done (me) to 'Adventures I have had while Filtering' (most of us).

Oh it is so good to converse with normal folks once in a while!

See you all next month, I hope, to play ...Hunt the Tiger Prawn!!

alexs, lammyR6, Beelady and 2 others like this.
  20. lammyR6

What a lovely evening with you all. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Panel Man your write up is as wonderful as ever as were my Panel Man hugs:hug2:.

"Dodgy English to less talented adults" :laugh::laugh: Brilliant. I shall use this when anyone asks about the DELTA. It's much more entertaining

lisa lou and Panel Man like this.