1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Tyre Shop Dropped My Bike

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Amancalledrob, May 15, 2017.

1. Amancalledrob

Amancalledrob Street Fighter +

1999 FireBlade

Went to get a new front tyre fitted Saturday morning. The tyre guy didn't seem too confident and put the front of the bike on a paddock stand, but didn't support the rear. I haven't used one of these stands so didn't realise that was A Bad Thing. Anyway while he was fitting the tyre I looked at the bike and thought it looked a bit crooked. At that moment it fell off the paddock stand.

Damage:

Fairing stay bent (mirror took a lot of the force and transmitted it to fairing stay)
    scratches to top fairing and mudguard caused by paddock stand
    scratches to right lower fairing where it impacted the ground
    damage to both lower fairings where bike was picked up by staff and then put down with no front wheel, causing both lower fairings to bend outwards

The fairings are painted, but the colour scheme is finished off with decals which sit on top of the paint. If the paint is repaired the decals would have to be lacquered over, which I don't want. The paint's stock. That means the panels really need to be replaced to fix this and that would cost total of about a grand.

Do you guys think it's fair to ask them for that? I can't find a cheaper way of getting it back to how it was before this happened and I'm worried they'll just tell me to jog on if I give them that kind of figure

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Yeah I made the guys who dropped mine repair it all.
    At least yours was not on a ramp when it went.
    Plus they should be insured to cover everything.

3. Amancalledrob

Thanks mate. I've spoken to their manager today (he didn't apologise) who says I need to take the bike to their repair guy at Fishponds Farm in Tonbridge. Seems a bit weird so far but fingers crossed

4. Beelady

Beelady British Superbike +

That's a car body place. Didn't know they did bikes as well. Is it just for an estimate?

Amancalledrob likes this.
  5. Amancalledrob

Thanks, that's handy to know. I think it's for an estimate. I'm not going to allow a car repair place to work on it, I'm sure they're competent at what they do but what they do isn't this.

I'll take it down there and see what happens

6. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

Rather Crappy :( hope it all gets sorted with no issues.

7. Garya

Garya World Superbike +

I know a car sprayer at fishponds, If his name is Gareth then i know him and he is a good sprayer.
    He has done work on my bikes before now.
    As far as i remember he is into off road biking
    What firm did the tyre change?

8. Beelady

That sounds more promising. I've seen some appalling fixes to minor damage on bikes and cars so I'm always convinced that it's going to end badly.

9. Amancalledrob

Thanks mate. The garage was Watling Tyres in TW. They used a front paddock stand but no rear stand, allowing the bike to tip over. The fitter also had to hammer out the front axle, which I later realised was because he'd only undone three of the four pinch bolts.

Watling guy didn't apologise when I spoke to him yesterday and still hasn't sent me the number of this place. Also how am I going to get the bike there? I'm at work ffs

Shit like this makes me so f***ing mad

10. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

The manager sounds like an ars*hole. They will be insured so make sure it's back to exactly how you want it and don't settle for anything less. It's a shame that tyres are one of the only things you can't do yourself as i don't let any morons near my bike these days.

11. Amancalledrob

Yep. Looking forward to having a house with a garage - hopefully this year - so I can leave the bike on the Abba stand and just take the wheels in

Blade rr6 likes this.
  12. Garya

Garya World Superbike +

I would be after their insurance details rather than you having to do the legwork to get a quote from their preferred sprayer

Eagle and Beelady like this.
  13. Beelady

Perhaps you should get some advice on this. Maybe Citizens Advice could point you in the right direction or see if there's a free local legal clinic you could use. I don't see why you have to do the running around. I would expect their insurance company to collect your bike or for their assessor to contact you for an appointment to come and see the bike at your home.
    It's so difficult to organise anything like this when you have to be at work. I hope you get it sorted out quickly.

Eagle likes this.
  14. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

Yeah then the ape can just f*ck the paint on your wheels rather than the whole bike!

15. alexs

alexs World Superbike +

Sorry to hear that Rob, I've used them a few times but always just taken a wheel in, hopefully you've got things moving with the repair since Tuesday.

16. Amancalledrob

Thanks for your comments everyone - happy to report that I've ordered new panels/parts to replace the scratched ones and Watling Tyres are covering the full cost :)

Based on this experience I think I'd use them again. Things go wrong for everyone, what's important is how they're put right

I think I'd supervise them though...

Fergy, Eagle, Beelady and 7 others like this.
  17. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

maybe make sure they have more than one paddock stand but hopefully they have learnt from it and it never happens again.

18. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

not sure I would use them again, I prefer dedicated Motorbike tyre places who do it all day long

19. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

My issue with Watling in Hastings is the number of times they put my tyres on the wrong way round!