1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

May Day Hastings

Discussion in 'Biker events' started by BlackHornet, Apr 27, 2017.

1. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Just a little reminder this Bank holiday is May Day which means 1000's of bikes head to Hastings :thumbsup:

Not sure if I am going to pop in or not but whatever make sure you keep eyes peeled for extra police

Beelady likes this.
  2. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

Rain in the Spain falls mainly on Hastings over may bank holiday :( if dry should be about, but not in Hastings.

3. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I'll be about Monday but won't be going anywhere near Hastings.

4. james port

james port Moped

im going always do

5. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

Planning to head in in the morning and go have some brekkies somewhere. Then go out for a ride when it gets too busy in town. May even venture back later, minus bike, for a drink or two.

BlackHornet and deano81 like this.
  6. Snapper

Snapper Moped

Depends on the weather in my case. My Triumph turns brown on contact with water :cry:, so I'll wait and see.

Most people here seem to have a bit of a 'downer' on the Hastings run :(, but I think it's really cool that every year you see loads of people sat at the side of the road and on the motorway bridges, cheering and waving at the passing bikes :) . After all, it's not every day that the general public show support for motorcycles/motorcyclists ;) .

Eagle likes this.
  7. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I've nothing against the run per say. Its the recent attempt to capitalise from something that was running perfectly well for well over 20 years without an "Organiser". Then take into account the amount of people (both those caught & not) riding dangerously & generally acting like complete knob-heads & all of a sudden the biker image takes a dive. I know its a small minority but they are the ones that will stick in peoples minds.

8. Carl Berg

Carl Berg Sport Tourer +

The Mayday Run hasn't been 'organised' since the 25th Run. The '30th' poster was only a reminder that there was someone there who had anything to do with the Run since it's inception in '79.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for Mr Howard Martin, his only involvement is with what happens once people arrive in Hastings. He's got nothing to do with the Run itself.

9. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

Will be avoiding .. Roads round here will be clogged to the hilt with bikes, holidaymakers and those visiting hastings to see said bikes in their cars .. not my idea of fun .. on the plus side it means the roads away from here will be much clearer :thumbsup: . And as roady pointed out, sadly it seems to attract that small percentage of idiots who then get us all tarred with the same brush, and as someone who lives on one of the routes into hastings ive seen plenty of those cockwombles lately .:stomp:Just as a heads up I imagine there will be a police/camera presence in town . been quite a few complaints from the locals due to idiots tearing through here over a few weekends , some near misses etc which along with the recent fatality down the road from me means they are stepping up checks and speed awareness around here .

10. lammyR6

I agree about the whole idea of it being cool. It would be a sad day indeed if the May Day Run was ever stopped. I don't enjoy massive crowds though which is why I prefer to go in early and leave when it gets too busy. I used to do the Locksbottom run, then moved on to just meeting at the Little Chef on the A21 (that was some time ago!). However now I cheat and, seeing as I am in Hastings, I like to just ride straight in, watch bikes arriving and then get some miles in on the bike later.

Eagle, Beelady and deano81 like this.
  11. lammyR6

Right. Plan to be at the Route 1066 café on A21 at 9am tomorrow morning. Will grab a coffee there then head into Hastings via Battle. Probably park up in sea front car park then go and see if there is a tiny chance of getting into the Pelican Diner. If not I do have other places to have brekkie in mind :D.
    Not sure I have anything green though for Jack-in-the-Green.

BlackHornet likes this.
  12. lammyR6

At the minute it appears the rain will come in at 9 but clear after 10 so this may be subject to change in the morning.

13. BlackHornet

prefect see you tomorrow at a few mins passed the end of rain

deano81 likes this.
  14. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Moderator +

Have fun, hope the :sun2: shines

15. alexs

alexs World Superbike +

I'll be out as long as not torrential...see you at 1066

BlackHornet likes this.
  16. Carl Berg

Carl Berg Sport Tourer +

A friend who lives in Tonbridge has just phoned me from Locksbottom to say that he got soaked riding North & isn't looking forward to having to go through that rain again.

The Sky news weather radar showed a massive cyclone right over the channel causing lots of wet all along the coast.

Not that bothered tbh. Another wet Mayday Monday.

17. Snapper

Snapper Moped

I'm chickening out, too :p . I can live without another soaking.

18. BlackHornet

:sun2::sun2::sun1::sun1:
    In Hastings now just ordered breakfast.

19. james port

james port Moped

sun came out at 11.30 ish

20. alexs

alexs World Superbike +

A little wet on the way down and again on the way home but lots of bikes and people and a great brekkie in an olde worlde pub....good day out.
    [​IMG]

Panel Man, lammyR6 and Mikey like this.