1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

A264 Tunbridge Wells To East Grinstead - Now Featuring New Tarmac!!!

Discussion in 'On the Road!' started by Snapper, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Snapper

Snapper Moped

:D Yes, that's right, the whole road from Langton Green right up to just short of East Grinstead has been entirely resurfaced with shiny black Tarmac, beige 'Shellgrip' (high friction surface) on most of the sharp bends and bright, newly-painted white markings.

It's a peach of a road for just about any sort of bike and any (acceptable :sneaky:) style of riding. In fact, in the AA's "Biker's Britain" book of best roads to ride in the UK (2015 edition), it is one of only two recommended routes in all of Kent/Sussex.

There are two main problems with riding on this road though; traffic and wild animals :rolleyes: . It's a double-edged sword really, because if you go at dawn and dusk to avoid the traffic, you stand more chance of coming round a bend to find a fully-grown stag standing in the middle of the road (I've hit two deer in my car on that route in the past four years, as it is my route to work). Traffic is less busy at weekends, unless you include the vast numbers of MAMILs who are to be seen puffing their way up the hillier parts of the road in first gear :p . Slow drivers can really put the mockers on it, too. Sadly, you do seem to get a lot of elderly people on that road, who will always drive at a steady 23mph in the corners and 42mph on the straights (including 42mph right through the 30mph limits in the villages along the way :confused:!?). Also, (safe) overtaking places are few and far between on the entire route, but very rewarding when you find them :D.

Anyway, don't let all that put you off. If you haven't ridden this stretch of road before, it's 15 mins of great fun and there has never been a better time (in recent history) to go and do it :) .

Ride safe!

Andy

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

i used to use that road on a regular loop, must pay it a visit again soon

lisa lou likes this.
  3. RedRock

RedRock Street Fighter +

I use that road all the time. Its a link between hatfield twisties and Lingfield bends, a figure of 8 I often do before going home.

lisa lou and BlackHornet like this.
  4. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

Ridden it many times, it's a good goodie:thumbsup:

lisa lou likes this.
  5. Snapper

Snapper Moped

Actually, I checked again on the way to work tonight and not all of the road is new :oops:. The stretch through Ashurst (all 30mph) is still quite broken up and a few odd sections have been repaired instead of totally replaced, but in general it is all in very good nick :).

There used to be some very bad potholes in the stretch between Hammerwood and Holtye, but they have all disappeared now. I saw a guy sitting in amongst the trees there last year, receiving medical care, whilst his bent bike lay a little further down the road. Possibly thrown over the bars :shrug: by the enormous and deep hole that used to be on 'racing line' along that very stretch.

Anyway, despite the NHS being broke, at least the government can find money to sort out our best biking roads :D .

lisa lou likes this.
  6. RedRock

RedRock Street Fighter +

They are doing the Langton to Penshurst Road now. Hopefully they will carry on in the area. Road to Edenbridge & Penshurst to Tonbridge would to helpful. Hummm wonder if I cud borrow some Rd closed signs & have the roads to myself for a morning or so :whistle::whistle::D

7. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

but no you can't you have to share it with me if you do :thumbsup:

8. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

Might give it a nose if weather ok over the weekend, although I did cross it the other day and noticed the New Tarmac :)

9. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Weather is supposed to be good Saturday at least.

10. Snapper

Snapper Moped

I rode my '73 Bonneville to work this morning (at 6am) along this road and what a massive improvement it was over the last time I tried it (in 2016). The bike tends to skip about on rutted and damaged road surfaces, but it just glided along this morning. No deer tried to kill me either :D .

Joy :)!

Stars and Stripes likes this.
  11. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

3 of us did this afternoon pretty good run though, nice and smooth :)

12. Snapper

Snapper Moped

Cool :)!

Beats sitting in an office all day :rolleyes: .

13. ninjabob

ninjabob Street Fighter +

Heed the warning about deer. I was following a van one evening when a deer vaulted the hedge right into the path of the van who hit it and nearly overturned. The lady van driver was very shook up. Mercifully the deer expired before our eyes (sad). On another occasion an aquaintance on a Bandit had one run right into his side this time with a happier ending. He had one of those deer whistle scarer thingys fitted. Fact lot of good that was.

Snapper likes this.