1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

1st Bike

Discussion in 'Beginners Bikes' started by Stubbsy, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Stubbsy

Stubbsy 125

right guys I am doing my A license and I am looking for advise on a bike to get, I have had a look around and I like the SV650s, the Honda cbr650f and also the Daytona but I am looking for experienced folk to guide me as I have no clue about maintenance or anything with bikes and which is the best for a first bike. I will be using it to commute from Kent to se London most days.
    Any help would be appreciated :tnx:

2. Pilbs

Pilbs Street Fighter +

Are you looking at new or used? Does it have to be a specific size style?

3. NAPA121

NAPA121 Secret prototype +

The Sv650 was my first bike and i do recommend it. :tup:

Stubbsy and Russell like this.
  4. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Honda :D

It will take years of abuse. Fun to ride quicker than most too :D

I really like the look of the 650 too. It's on my shopping list

Fergy is also thing about one :rolleyes: would we get a deal buying three at once :D

But any bike will be great, most are reliable, fun and plenty quick enough :thumbsup:

Stubbsy likes this.
  5. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

SV650 are popular as a first bike but I`ve never owned one so can`t comment other than you will need a restrictor for it to be A2 compliant.

A2bikes.co.uk is a database of all A2 compliant bikes & also shows you bikes that can be made A2 compliant with the correct restrictor kit.

6. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

If a Daytona is on the cards, I think you should also look at an F3, because they look $%*@ing hot.

Also it depends what money you are looking to spend...Agusta's aren't cheap.

7. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Second on the SV650, this was my first bike and it was great :)

Stubbsy likes this.
  8. Stubbsy

Stubbsy 125

I would rather get used for my 1st bike as if I bash it or drop it which I'm not planning on obviously then I won't be as upset,

Eagle and lammyR6 like this.
  9. Stubbsy

Stubbsy 125

I am doing full licence so won't need a restrictor on it I can get on and gooooooo lol :disco:

Eagle and Roadwart like this.
  10. Stubbsy

Stubbsy 125

Thanks for all your input guys I do like the Sv and will prob end up with one of those, the next question is what do I need to look out for when buying a bike I'm fine with car shopping but bike shopping I have no clue.... More pointers please :hlp:

11. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Very similar to buying a car to be honest but expect lower mileages

12. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

There are many great bikes now days it is a Tough call :(

13. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I realised that after I typed that reply up. Editted it but forgot to hit save :doh:

Stubbsy likes this.
  14. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

less seats, no aircon etc

it's all about love at first site on newer bikes :thumbsup: see it like it buy it :D

Eagle likes this.
  15. Lightweight

Lightweight Sport Tourer +

Why a 650 particularly?
    I had a Kawasaki ER6-F as my first, really nice bike - but I swapped it after 3 weeks for a Triumph Tiger 800 for a bit more leg room as I was planning on doing some big mileage, never regretted it
    [​IMG]

16. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

Yes Tom We know your policy after a few beers when you get home on Ebay :p

BlackHornet likes this.
  17. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Moderator +

Ride magazine for August has a new rider pull out section... Might be worth a look

Stubbsy and Roadwart like this.
  18. Pilbs

Pilbs Street Fighter +

Test ride as many bikes as you can - will give you an idea on seat height, ride comfort, etc...

I rode or sat on quite a few before getting my VFR - found out that having stumpy little legs isn't good for a lot of bikes as I ended up looking like kermit sat on a wall with my my legs swinging!!!!

deano81, Tony29 and Stubbsy like this.
  19. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Ah balls, go for it - FIREBLADE :Whoo3:!!

Stubbsy and BlackHornet like this.
  20. RatPC

RatPC Twist N Go +

I went for a 955cc Triumph! :D well if i was going to do it, might as well do it properly! :D