1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Martin's Bobber Project

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Lightweight, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Lightweight

Lightweight Sport Tourer +

Oh, meant to say - I've had the sprocket and disc off the back wheel. I may need to remove all the bearings and replace them after it's been sand blasted and painted but at the moment I need the wheel on there so I can move the bike about. The sprocket came off fine, the disc needed just a little touch of heat to slacken off one bolt

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Beelady and BlackHornet like this.
  2. Lightweight

Just looking at the last photo on page 2, this bike really is that long!

3. Lightweight

Hey! My exhaust headers have arrived!
    A neighbour had them - what's the best way to clean up stainless steel?

4. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I have a hydraulic bike/engine lift you can borrow, if your engine is flat underneath or the frame tubes are the lowest part?

5. megawatt

I have high speed polishing discs, but you can buy a stainless polish.

6. Lightweight

That's extremely kind of you mate, I'll check underneath in the morning

No chemical solution then? Oh hang on, stainless polish!
    I might wrap them actually....

redrat likes this.
  7. Lightweight

Ok, sad to report that the sump and various other bits hang down beneath the frame so I'll have to improvise something while I get the front wheel off. You can generally work round stuff if you take a second look at it over a brew I find...
    Started labelling up the wiring and stripping it out today. I'm going to take as much as it off in one as I can - I can see me remaking large lumps of the loom, it's a bit scrappy and far too long in places...

8. megawatt

Is there a hole underneath the bottom yoke? If so, I have a front stand.

9. Lightweight

Problem resolved - I had forgotten about this rather natty paddock stand adaptor thing. Dunno why, I used it on the KLR rebuild! Front mudguard now off so all the bodywork is now ready to be prepped for paint.
    [​IMG]
    I'm trying to work out where to put the footpegs, the rear engine mount seems an inviting place to utilise but they will have to be so wide to get round the gearbox and clutch that some extra brackets may be needed to support them....

10. megawatt

Can you make brackets?

11. Lightweight

12. Lightweight

Dunno how that happened!
    I don't have any way of fabricating them at the moment, no. I think I need to test fit the exhaust first to make sure they won't clash with that.
    On the bright side, I hated the handlebars, so I broke out the 'fine tuning angle grinder', and created these....
    [​IMG]
    Much better (and it's something else that I don't have to buy)!

13. megawatt

Gimme a shout if you want me to make brackets.

14. Lightweight

Thanks mate, I don't even know what they should look like at the moment, never mind where they need to go!

15. Lightweight

Started fitting the exhaust today - I need to work out where it's going to go so I can then work out where the foot pegs can go, which means I can then work out if I need some risers on the handlebars!
    Unfortunately, it started pissing down; time to clear out the dining room so it can come indoors I reckon?..

Beelady, megawatt and BlackHornet like this.
  16. Lightweight

Ive had a bit of a break on this while I went to Normandy on the Tiger with a friend and his lad. Great roads, great company!
    Have to go to work occasionally as well...
    Anyway, the exhaust is giving me grief. If I use the SS headers that I bought, the lower radiator hose passes between the left hand pair - not good I don't think...
    I may have to use the headers that came with the bike, I can maybe join them with the 2 into 1 thingies that came with the SS ones. They're not in bad nick, a bit of flappy sanding disc love will put them right I reckon.
    The bike still hasn't made it into the dining room - later today hopefully...

17. Lightweight

Made it into the workshop....

[​IMG]

phil read and Beelady like this.
  18. Lightweight

Was cleaning this up with a view to repainting - but don't it look great!

[​IMG]

19. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

Have you had the motor running yet?

20. Lightweight

Nope - hasn't run for 10 years or more...