1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Martin's Bobber Project

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Lightweight, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Lightweight

Lightweight Sport Tourer +

So folks, the beast has arrived and what a dog it is!
    Couldn't quite believe what the hell I was doing when I got it out of the van - it's dirty, it's rusty and generally nasty looking!
    [​IMG]
    However, when you look a little closer, it's not all bad. The rust is only surface stuff, cobwebs wash away and it's got some nice bits on it!

rbl10 likes this.
  2. Lightweight

First for the bin are the dual seat, the handlebars and the sissy bar. I'll be shortening the rear mudguard as soon as I establish how short I can make it for the MOT man.
    [​IMG]

3. Lightweight

Bits I like?
    Pretty much all of it apart from those listed above. Particularly like the expansion tank - it's a bit fecked but I might make something similar to replace it - that's pretty cool I reckon!
    Still not sure what I want it to look like when it's done....

4. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

Love the addition of the beer can!!! :)

5. rbl10

rbl10 125 +

Excellent, look forward to the updates.

6. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

some people spend hundreds trying to get that rat look :thumbsup:

Looks pretty sound which is a bonus :D

7. Lightweight

True, with some fresh petrol and a new battery I'd probably fit right in at some events!

8. Lightweight

Im hoping it'll look something like this when I'm done
    [​IMG]

9. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Looks like a good start for you. Don,t forget, semi rat look is fashionable at the moment? C u at show tomoz? About 12ish?

10. Lightweight

Yes, my mates meeting me in Hythe at 0930ish, cup of coffee and there by 11 I reckon.

11. megawatt

You have a PM mate.

12. Lightweight

Chaps, before I start chopping this up, I have a few basic questions I need answering.
    Please only tell me if you know the answer for sure - if you're having a laugh, please say so!
    1. I will need to mount the number plate and tail light to one side, does it matter which side?
    2. How short can the rear mudguard be?
    3. Did the GPz900 have a separate Rev counter? Mines only got a speedo but there's space for a Rev counter, looks a bit lopsided...
    More to follow I'm sure...

13. megawatt

1/ Have a look at the chopper Forums in UK mate, not sure it matters. I'll have a look here, http://www.britchopper.co.uk/forum
    2/Don't think you have to have one
    3/Not sure. It deffo had one though. search GPz900 images?

Lightweight likes this.
  14. Lightweight

Thanks, answered no.3 - they were built into a binnacle, I was hoping they were separate. Could always get one and mount it into something else I suppose...
    Top link there mate, have applied for membership...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  15. Beelady

Beelady British Superbike +

Very different to your last dining room special! That came together O.K and this one's going to be even better. looking forward to seeing how you get on.
    Acessengineer is a qualified bike MOT tester. He's at the concorde Rally this weekend but if you don't have an answer to number 1 by the time he gets back he can look it up in the regs. for you.

lammyR6 likes this.
  16. megawatt

Some good info and engineers on there mate.

17. Lightweight

This is the last one if nobody saw it
    [​IMG]
    So yes, Emma - a slightly different thing!
    But hey, at the end of the day they're all made of the same basic parts - once you've pulled one brake caliper apart you've done them all!
    Thing is, this is someone else's idea of what it should look like (the Australian army's idea actually), I want this one to be what I think it should look like...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    Beelady likes this.
  18. Lightweight

Had an interesting chat with some of the people at the Rye show today. Apparently a lot of the stuff I was worried about just doesn't matter!
    If you've got no indicators, the MOT man just won't check them, and you can fix your number plate wherever you like as long as it's visible from the back...
    Anyhow, came home and ripped some more bits off. Wanted to get to the carbs as they're bound to be in need of a rebuild so off came the tank
    URL=http://s199.photobucket.com/user/lightweight0_3/media/imagejpg1_zps8e9da7ac.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    The carbs look a bit dodgy at this end
    URL=http://s199.photobucket.com/user/lightweight0_3/media/imagejpg2_zpscb201047.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    But nice and clean at the outlet, have ordered some rebuild kits anyway.
    Turns out milk carton lids are perfect for sealing off the bores!
    [​IMG]

rbl10 and megawatt like this.
  19. Lightweight

Those exhausts have got to go....
    They appear to be entirely home made, I thought they would be a set of standard headers with pea shooters welded on, so will have to start from scratch with them. I'm thinking a 2 into 1 each side and keeping them quite short, exiting to the side just in front of the back wheel maybe

20. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

A nice start already and what a great use for the milk bottle tops :thumbsup: I shall remember that

deano81 likes this.