1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Indicator flash rates

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Hanna, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

So, fitted new indicators a while ago, with resisters etc so all good.

The front right had a loose connection so wasn't working and therefore making the rest go at a fast flash rate. Sorted that out last night, turned on the ignition and all working fine. All indicators on at correct flash rates.

However, turn the engine on and immediately they all go at fast flash rate... all still working, but fast. Turn engine off, then ignition on, all fine. Engine on, all fast.

What is going on please?

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

at a guess i'd say there's something wrong :D

might just need a different resister :thumbsup:

3. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

Different resister wouldn't explain why it's okay when on ignition only, but not when the engine is on.

Oh, and thank you for your exceptionally helpful first comment. One of many from the witty members on here I expect. :p

4. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

If there "LED" then possibly the wrong resistor(s), otherwise I would suspect there is a bad earth connection somewhere which is feeding back thru the indicators.

5. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Prolly when the engine is running and charging the battery, the voltage is slightly higher causing the faster flashing, you need a different resistor.

Skortchio likes this.
  6. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

Right, that makes sense. New resistor it is.

7. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

ah another thought, i know most of the newer bmw gs range use canbus wiring , not sure about the rr but i do know of many issues with canbus with indincator/light upgrades... also as has been mentioned could be wrong value resistor..

8. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

It's aftermarket indicators... I think it's because the resistor was resting against the wires before and may have heated up and gone kaput... because the identical one on the other side is fine. So now the connection is okay (temporarily, need to solder it in place properly) I'm hoping that if I replace it with a new resistor, instead of a bigger one, it should be okay... and then solder the lot up once I've confirmed it all works... if not a bigger resistor, but given the other side is okay then I think the heating up against the wires and doing something bad may be the answer. Maybe.

9. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I assume you're using resistors with a heat sink?

10. lost

lost Samsung leaflet fetishist +

dont be silly hanna uses a dishwaser:)

kitten_art likes this.
  11. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Now then, I was going to say something similar......but, I held back, cos I knew someone else would come along and save me the bother :giggle::giggle::giggle:

lost likes this.
  12. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Shoulda bought a replacement LED flasher unit. Cost £13 for the Blade, sorted.

13. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

I'll take a picture tonight so you can see... as in answer to your question, I have no idea! It's just what they came with.

14. deano81

take a closeup if you can , that way i can see the colour code and figure out the value.. then shoul be able to tell what wattage it is from the size..

15. SpiritofFreedom

SpiritofFreedom Moped +

Or get a proper relay for LED indicators. Not sure what bike you're riding Hanna, but if it has the CanBus wiring system then I wouldn't advise you to cut or patch any wire as they work very diffrently to normal wiring. It's like fibre optics. Each wires has many signals passing through them.

16. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Just had a look on wiki for CAN bus & spirit is right, Its more like a computer network than a normal wiring loom.

17. deano81

yep canbus uses essentially a network topology.. hence why it go's mental if you change things.. nice way for the companies to keep accessories expensive... also alot of new cars will enter "safety" mode at stupid things like blown brake light ... it also makes the electrics much more prone to problems from weathered connectors etc.. not really a fan of canbus or some of the other oem alternatives as everything is becoming way too computer controlled.. and working with microelectronics/computers i know the results of that :bhead:

18. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Fairly sure Hanna's Bumblebeemer runs Canbus wiring...

19. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

S1000 is Canbus :)

20. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

Don't BMW do indicators for your bike? :rolleyes: