1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Battery not charging from bike?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Sporty1200, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

I cant get in to the cb1000r site to post this at the mo, i tried yesterday and i have been asked to enter blurred letters to form a word security stuff which doesnt seem to work for me,, its something im not doing right,,, aaggghh. ill try again, if not i can still surf as a guest...

2. Sporty1200

Think ive sussed the testing bit for the battery at least using the voltmeter set to BATT - 9V (think the 9v bit was confusing me as the battery is 12v :think1:)... the battery is now on charge and seems to be charging ok - accordion to the Oxford Oximiser, just looked and its charging at 13.3 - 84 amps and the bike starts up ok. With the engine running i tested the battery and it reads 12.3 then starts to reduce in voltage, pretty sure it isnt recieving any juice from the engine. Still appreciate you dropping by if your passing whenever you can Deano as ive not much clue what to do next, you have my details, :thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

If you need the relevant pages of the workshop manual scanning for the specs/procedures, let me know :)

4. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

ooh does it have the ohm ratings for the stator coils by any chance? that would be very helpful if it does.. :thumbsup:

5. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

Kev, showing upload image too large, wont allow me to upload, PM me you email addy if you need

6. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

They are posted up on the CB forum kev ;)

Sporty1200 likes this.
  7. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Just reduce the size so the file is less than 200kb then it`ll allow you to upload it here :thumbsup:

8. Sporty1200

Cheers Steve ill pm my email, just managed to sign back into the cb forum but if you have em handy im sure Dean will make sense of em and ill probably learn something. :thumbsup:

9. deano81

we can figure out roughly where the fault lies.. first we test the output from the stator coils. if they are in spec ie somewhere around 50-70v AC at about 4k rpms then they are prob ok. which would then mean the rectifier isnt converting the ac voltage from the stator to 12v dc voltage for the bikes battery/electrics. this would mean your reg/rectifier has probably failed. if however your stators arnt outputting enough ac for the rectifier to convert then its the stator coils that are the issue or the magnets on the flywheel. thats a basic breakdown so you get the idea.

Sporty1200 likes this.
  10. Sporty1200

Huge ''Thank You'' to Deano81 for coming round and diagnosing the battery issue as well as for teaching me how to use the voltmeter properly, owe you one Dean :thumbsup:. Dean traced the faulty part to the ''stator'' which is over £200... :eek: .....however.... just checked with Honda and due to the fault being so common in the blade engine (which the CB1000 engine is pretty much based on) Honda have extended the warranty on the part which means i should be covered. Ill know for sure on monday.
    Also thanks to Steve (Late) for the diagrams and spec via email..:thumbsup:
    Stator CB1000R9.jpg

mousematt, LATE, Roadwart and 2 others like this.
  11. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

I assume you have been advised the change the oil to get rid if any contamination

12. deano81

no worries matey, if i can lend a hand with something im always happy to help peeps :thumbsup:

13. Sporty1200

Thanks Rob, its due a change but that didnt occur to me .The oil level when i looked, was very low :eek:

14. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

Glad you're sorted mate

15. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

by the look of the Alternator, chances are that it was burning some of the oil, does the oil smell like "burning soot?"

16. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Glad you guys found the problem, lets hope its good new monday Kevin :thumbsup:

17. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Always something going wrong on these cheap jap bikes!

Les likes this.
  18. Sporty1200

I havnt been out and smelt it yet, raining here, but its a good idea to change the oil. Ill wait to see if Honda will confirm it will be under warranty and ask if they will do the oil too. :thumbsup:

19. deano81

see if they'll chuck in the sealant too ;)

Sporty1200 likes this.
  20. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

When Kent Motorcycles changed my sump, and tank, on warranty they didn't charge me for the oil...

Sporty1200 likes this.
  21. Sporty1200

Hmmmm.... Neil at Gedges say's the part will ''probably'' be covered and wants the bike taken to their workshop by me as Honda wont pay for it to be collected, or i pay £40 for collection. Neil wasnt sure about if engine oil would be included by Honda but again ''sugested'' it may be. :cautious:

Looks like i could be Honda -less for 3/4 weeks as it cant be booked in until the 15th and could take up t0 10/12 working days to turn around..

Ive sugested Gedges just giving me the new part so i can have the bike back on the road in 2 hours, apparently - Neil ''cant do that''.. Bloody bureaucracy. :fume:
    Im ringing Honda direct tomorrow and asking for a replacement part :ond:...