1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

I do love a wheelie

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by rhanmore, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Wheelies do look cool sometimes, depending when n where. I also worry about damaging my chain n sprox, i wouldnt want that become an issue whilst blatting around some nice twisties... :D

2. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

First gear roll ons are grear to get used to the inertia, but wouldn't subscribe trying to actually wheelie on first gear power. It's a redundent skill set as you'd never use roll on power for an actual wheelie and learning clutch technique asap is the next logical step. :thumbsup:

That said the time between first gear roll ons and 2nd gear clutch slips will be dependent on the time you have available to practise. It's a lot faster with someone to give pointers.

3. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

There's far far less stress on the drivetrain from pulling a wheelie than there is from riding those twisties, if that's your only worry then I think it's time we went for a day out matey ;)

Sporty1200 likes this.
  4. Sporty1200

Nice offer, as i said, id worry about trashing mine, but your R1 would be OK. :hah:

Seriously though, it would be fun to have a go, a wheelie school could be a laff..

rhanmore likes this.
  5. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Think we should find an empty car park down here and pay your expenses to get down here for some teaching.?

rhanmore likes this.
  6. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

i see a wheelie school with a twist

rhanmore and skortchio each have a team to train in a day then the teams wheelie it out :D

baggies using daves bike as it has in built wheelie bars :rubhands::rubhands:

7. rhanmore

rhanmore Moped +

Agree with you about in first as not many times are you riding in first then decide to pull a wheelie. Most of mine are clucthed up at between 60-90 but if you have never wheeled before then floating the wheel in first will show you that is ok, plus your very unlikely to flip it. But let's organise a day somewhere and we can help others learn what fun it is!!

8. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

60?!
    Must be a 1000cc thing, I usually lift at about 20-25 and keep it under 60. Haven't had the practise enough in a while to hold them at a steady 30 but if the weather keeps up then I hope to be back on form soon! :D
    They built houses on my old car park :(

Spot on though with roll on's, that's what I meant about he inertia, 1st gear RO's are ideal for getting used to that feeling and as you say, less things to control and slower delivery of power = less chance of problems.

9. rhanmore

rhanmore Moped +

I have altered the gearing on mine as who needs a bike to hit 112mph in first?? Lol So I have drop one on the front and increased one on the rear. I like the stability of a faster wheelie and find that the wind speed at around 100 will float the bike nicely and maintain stability. For me the slower wheelies require more control and input but respect to you as I can't do them, they are to jerky and I'm end up clanging my nuts on the tank :(

10. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Don't get me wrong - I love wheelies and am confident pulling them on crossers etc. I've just never got on with them on sports bikes as the geometry is so different. For me (esp when off-road), I've focussed so much on keeping both wheels in contact with the ground that getting the front pointing skywards now goes against the grain... hence needing some training.

Although my bike is far from expensive, my sense of self-preservation gets in the way when on tarmac and stops me from getting over my issues. Therefore, using someone else's bike in a controlled environment would certainly help. However, having an experienced set of eyes would also be bloody handy and would earn more than some tea and a biscuit!

rhanmore, kitten_art and Les like this.
  11. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

personally i love a good wheelie and often enjoyed lofting the front skyward on my bandit ...however the 1400 is a big girl and i dunno..... maybe im getting old and the thought of messing up and having all that bike come over on me doesnt appeal so i dont do them as often and nowhere near as long.
    Im also with sporty and agree using a schools bike would take a lot of the stress out of binning it ( ya cant anyway they have adjustable tilt sensors and wheelie bars ) they also teach along the lines of 1st gear roll on wheelies ...or at least those ive seen do.
    itll all end in tears i tell ya :giggle:

12. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Wheelie school could be a bit of a laugh...especially if there is no excess etc....

Sporty1200 likes this.
  13. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Open space (anyone know an airfield that's not used?) HD camera, thermos and a few hours. Followed by a terrible curse of having to practise at any oppportunity. :thumbsup:

14. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

Top.bmp 3aa.jpg

A know all know nothing Jap loving ignoramous thought that an old British Norton iron wouldn't wheelie.......

How wrong he was.......well over 100 yards.... mates brother on back to aid balance nicely......

Private road?.......Was it bollocks!!!!!! :hgiggle:

viking killer likes this.
  15. OLDBANDYGIT

OLDBANDYGIT Learner

If you think you're using my poor little 6 !!! :moon:. LOL.

HAYABUSADAVE likes this.
  16. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

1200s do it well......:thumbsup:

17. Miky_G

Miky_G World Superbike +

I'm up for some wheelie school and/or teaching :)

Sporty1200 likes this.
  18. Sporty1200

Ive had my Sportster pointing skyward... :thumbsup:

HAYABUSADAVE likes this.
  19. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Did it go into shock? :lol2:

20. Sporty1200

It was
    It was quite chilled n retained its dignity :thumbsup:, unlike my Honda when launched from the lights with a few secb others this summer..... :poop: